Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Decipleship and Evangelism

I promised to blog about my favorite class this semester so here it is.

I have taken D&E twice now (not proud of that fact). I will say how ever that I am glad I did. There is a young "old" man in the class who is 85 years old he has been married for 58 years. That would be the reciprocal of his age. He has been married longer then any other married persons in the class combined. He has been through so much. He got back from WW2 at the age of 20 wow.

I say all of that to say this, I respect this man and I don't even know him really. He has been married twice as long as I have been alive. He has seen more hartache, confusion, as well as other trials then I can imagine. This is a man who fought for some of the things I hold dear and often take for granted

It frustrates me to see young people these days and even people my age not respecting seniors. Whom are we to learn from if not from generations before us? We haven't had to fight for to much since the sixties, my generation by far is the pampered generation.

If you know me you know I am opinionated. I like to be heard. But when this man speaks of God I listen. When this man speaks of life I listen. When this man speaks of anything I will listen. Why do I listen? I listen for two reasons:
1. He knows more then me.
2. It is a form of worship of God. To respect those wise people God places in your life is to worship God's wisdom.

What What do I love most about D&E it is the diversity of people. from 18-85 years of age and all for the same purpose to learn how to make disciples. It is amazing that a man who is 85 would humble himself to learn. But then isn't that wisdom? I love this class but most of all I love the people.

1 comment:

Sarah Marie said...

He is now 86!!! His birthday was this past Saturday!