Saturday, September 3, 2011

A missionary heart and a broken body.

16Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Mathew 28:16-20 (ESV)

This is a passage of Scripture that has both inspired me and caused me great heartache. My heart leads me to go but my body would seem to prevent this. From a profound visual impairment to a disability that hinders mobility. How can this passage be carried out by someone in my position? While I understand that there are plenty of opportunities in my home community, state, and country my heart also longs to "Go".

Allow me to digress a bit for a moment to say this. I am discouraged when missionaries express sorrow for returning home either after service or to begin a new method of service. This discourages me not because I do not have compassion for their longing for their ministry home, but because I long to hear of their service, provide ministry to them in their return home, and to perhaps help to prepare the way for them to go out again. So to the missionary who returns home either for a long term or a short term. Know that your home country misses you too and we long to hear from you directly about your experiences and blessings and to to contribute to your emotional, spiritual, and physical restoration. (I believe I am often misunderstood in my frustration at the discouragement of missionaries when they return home).

Back to the topic at hand.

Some interesting opportunities have presented themselves to me since coming to Louisville:

First, I did a little research on mission organizations that minister specifically to Europe (Europe has always been on my heart as long as I have been a Christian), this search lead to a group called "Greater Europe Mission," this is an organization that deals specifically with Europe while also working in Northern Africa.
Second, I am researching opportunities to teach in Asia specifically S. Korea

God has shown m once again that if His Word says something then in what it says it will not return void. While it is true that both of these opportunities will be difficult they are not impossible. See Phil. 4:12-13 .

A Small prayer

Thanks be to God for taking me where I have been, leading me to where I will go, and making the journey possible. I rejoice that God has placed me in a home country that has given me the ability to dream bigger then my abilities would indicate possible. I know that that these things where brought about by God and I rejoice in Him for it.



No comments: